Bloggst Homepage
Welcome! You have found your way to Bloggst, a community for bloggers. Apart from providing you with daily updated articles on blogging, the main feature of Bloggst is our thriving discussion forum. If you wish to participate in the discussions you will need to register. It will only take a minute of your time, and it is completely free. If you wish to know more about us first, take a look at our about page.
Go Back   Bloggst Forums > General Blogging > Promote and Advertise

Tags:  

Old #1 - 03-15-2007, 06:27 AM

Douglas 
Familiar Bloggster

Douglas is on a distinguished road
MyBlogLog - How do you get the most out of it?

I just discovered MyBlogLog a while ago, and I haven't really gotten much into it yet. Infact I just have a more or less empty account sitting there.

Originally I think MyBlogLog was a way to track the stats for your blog, but from what I have heard many people find it to be a valuable marketing tool as well. I am wondering, how? Do you use the who read widget for instance? When I tried it, it slowed down my blog quite a bit, so I dropped it again.

Anything else I missed? Looking forward to hearing all of your input on this. I would like to get the most out of it!
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Register to see smaller and less intrusive ads!
Old #2 - 03-15-2007, 06:42 AM

Jipdog7 
New Bloggster

Jipdog7 is on a distinguished road
You've done it again Douglas, another site I've never heard of, off to have a look now!
Jipdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old #3 - 03-15-2007, 08:23 AM

compostman 
Rookie Bloggster

compostman is on a distinguished road
For driving new traffic to your site, I'd rate MyBlogLog about the equilivent to commenting on other people's blogs.

When I comment on other people's blogs, sometimes people will click the link to my site and check it out and sometimes they won't. I try to add interesting on-topic comments and definitely avoid the "Nice blog, check out my site" blog spam. Don't you hate those?

If these people like my site and find it interesting, then I've found a new reader. Obviously if you have an interesting site you've got a better chance of this happening.

MyBlogLog puts all this activity in one place, so it's a timesaver for me. I can just search for my niche (for example: Garden) and join the communities of all the people in the results. Make some interesting on topic comments and I could get some new readers.

Well, that's my $0.02, if anyone has figured out a better way to use MyBlogLog, then I'm all ears.
compostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old #4 - 03-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Leonard Chen 
Rookie Bloggster

Leonard Chen is on a distinguished road
Other than the fact that MBL tracks my Adsense and YPN clicks, I don't really have complains. Oh wait, they have explained why the tracking started. So, it's the occasional spam I get now.

But I've got to say MBL is a positive source of traffic, though it does not guarantee if visitors will continue to return. At the very least, it's able to provide anyone with exposure and that's what is important to a blogger in reaching an audience.
Leonard Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old #5 - 03-15-2007, 12:36 PM

menguzar 
Rookie Bloggster

menguzar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to menguzar
MyBlogLog can be considered something like MySpace for bloggers. Everyone inside is a blogger, knowing that makes one feel a little at home. So people socialize, and the key to it is that "you are your blog".

When someone sees you, sees a PM from you, sees a comment from you and wonder who you are, they don't read your profile, not much. They check your site out. And sometimes someone likes it and links to you from their blog.

It's a nice place to meet nice people and share valuable knowledge if nothing else. But yes, it generates a trickling amount of traffic too.

If you are an active member (or bombard everyone brutally with PMs) you might get more traffic though
menguzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old #6 - 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM

Stretsh 
Rookie Bloggster

Stretsh is on a distinguished road
What I like about MBL is the widget you can place on your site to show the different MBL members who recently visited your site.

Use MBL to onnect to other members and they will visit your site. Just make sure they find useful information there, so they will come back regularly.
Poetry blog: www.afewgoodnotes.com
Stretsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old #7 - 03-17-2007, 04:21 AM

fleur 
New Bloggster

fleur is on a distinguished road
I also like the widget letting me know who visited my blog but the results are only partial since those who are only logged to MBL will appear. Anyway, it is still one way of getting some visitors to the blogs
fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old #8 - 03-17-2007, 04:29 AM

DebNg 
Bloggst Guest Writer

DebNg is on a distinguished road
It brings me a little traffic, but I like it because I get to see who visits my blog and why. So far I have about 60 people in my FWJ community and it's nice to see their faces and hear what they have to say.
DebNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old #9 - 03-17-2007, 04:34 AM

menguzar 
Rookie Bloggster

menguzar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to menguzar
Quote:
but I like it because I get to see who visits my blog and why
Yes that's exactly the thing with mbl. it gives faces to your visitors. Very nice feeling
Old #10 - 03-17-2007, 05:59 AM

Lars-Christian 
Bloggst Founder

Lars-Christian has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Lars-Christian Send a message via MSN to Lars-Christian Send a message via Skype™ to Lars-Christian
MyBlogLog can be a useful tool for promotion, but it doesn't really have any advantages over any other social network with large collections of members related to a certain niche. For MyBlogLog, that niche is blogging, since every member there is a blogger. This was of course useful for me when promoting Bloggst, seeing how that is exactly our target audience.

I obviously, because of that, found it useful for making new contacts and feedback related to Bloggst, because I knew that as good as everyone there would potentially be interested

Other than that, it doesn't necessarily help you promote your blog in any specific way, unless you wish to go around and spam it down, which is not reccomendable! Their widgets can be useful though, but I alos found that displaying the "Who visited" widget slowed down my blog to the extent that I had to take it down, unfortunately. I think I'm going to give it another try though, and see if it has improved.
Lars-Christian is offline   Reply With Quote